Thursday, January 11, 2007

Girls Return

I'm finally back from ONE FANTASTIC TRIP to Niger, Africa.
It was so amazing and there just aren't any words worthy enough to describe this place.
It's power, spirit, glory, and sadness were all an unforgettable experience.
I was so appreciative in so many different ways; for the opportunity to visit such a place and also for all that I have here at home.
I also realized that you really don't NEED as much as you think you do and "our" needs are so miniscule to those of some of the African people.
After never receiving my luggage the entire trip, I quickly found out that I didn't really "need" all that stuff anyway. None of that matters in most places there.
The people in Agadez were very friendly and actually pretty happy.

The Christmas Day reunion shared by "the guys" and "us girls" was wonderful.
They were so happy to see us! They looked pretty healthy - a little skinnier, but good!

It was amazing to watch them get up every single day and run at least 50 miles! (especially straight into 50-60mph headwinds the entire way - SAND STORMS!)
It was enough just to hear about it - but to actually witness it first hand was incredible!
I now have a new appreciation for these guys. You can't imagine how trying and difficult it is to accomplish such a task. And they've done it with incredible enthusiasm, spirit, and determination. (along with a little humor)
They are all so strong, especially Charlie, and there is absolutely nothing physically wrong with them at this point to keep them from finishing.

We camped in the middle of the Sahara Desert for 5 nights; each day waking at 5:00am, eating breakfast, then off and running. (well, at least for the guys anyway)
The girls (Kathy & Nicole) and I caught up later when we finished our morning routine. We would meet them at the next checkpoint on their route.
They ran at a good, steady pace, stopping about every 5K for Gatorade and any power foods they needed. (keeping the break limited to 2 or 3 minutes - then on for the next 5K)
They kept this up until lunch break everyday and would then run again after break for a couple more hours.
Not once did I hear anyone complaining!

It was fascinating to see all the wonders of the Desert. Some curious people, Nomads, came out (from somewhere -?) to say hello and of course ask for things. (gifts - money, jewelry, sunglasses, water - anything really) They were wearing only sandals, robes, and head scarves with dirty faces, hands and feet. (but smiling!) It was actually an honor for me to get to try to communicate with these people. I admire them for there ability to continue on each day in the conditions they are under in the Desert. Beautiful people!

The sand dunes were incredible and all the ancient writings on rock walls were incomprehensible. I can't imagine life before now.
It was cool to find ancient arrowheads, pottery, and tools.
Charlie and I have had an on-g0ing challenge of trying to find "hearts" everywhere we travel. He found several heart-shaped stones for me from all the deserts through Africa that he's run so far.

As for the rest of the trip - the girls and I headed back to Agadez on December 31st.
We celebrated New Years in a quaint little restaurant (without the guys) - but toasted proudly to our experience and to the safe finish for Charlie, Ray, and Kevin in Egypt.

After a long journey home I arrive back to "life in America." (so different)
It was really quite depressing. I will miss that place. I know it's a struggle for the people who live there and it's not as pleasant as what I experienced - but just for things to be so much more simple - it's a nice thought and a memory I will never forget.
I will return someday and hopefully soon.
Charlie and I would like to continue to help bring awareness to poverty and the water situation in Africa and be more involved. It's a wonderful feeling to help others.

Of course there is much more to the trip than that - but this was my short version - it would take a week to write all the things I would have to say about my experience.
So, for now - just know that it was all worth it, the guys are doing well, and "life is good!"

Lisa Trexler

4 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger Dagrims said...

I just received my copy of the Sig Ep Journal and was amazed to read about the team running the Sahara. It's an amazing accomplishment with a great motivation behind it.

I'm looking forward to the documentary when it's been completed.

Best of luck in the journey!

Chris Grim
Delaware '91

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger turbo said...

you guys were great amazing. Charlie you never for one second let anyone else take the AT ALL, bit of a controller I would say, still great job. Felt very sorry for the kid all alone in the desert, broke my heart.
You should have let some one else take the lead even for a minute. Good job

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi charlie you guys have strongest
will power on earth and used it for a best cause take rest you have done your job

Best wishes
Rajesh Joseph

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Kamden said...

I saw your screening last night in Silver Spring. As a runner and a Public Health Advocate devoting my life to both, you've done a ton already. There are many organizations/partners if you haven't linked up with already, you could like the West Africa Water Initiative, or register for this year's American Public Health Association conference which is focusing on water issues:
http://www.apha.org/meetings

I'd be happy to keep in touch and give you more links and put you in touch with folks I work at with USAID in the water and sanitation work, they actually are with me in the Bureau of Global Health (I work in Malaria and Child Health and have been to Mali over 15 times, but never to T2 so I'm jealous!) Public Private Partnerships can be VERY powerful and raise a lot of money and support.

Sincerely, Kamden Hoffmann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home