Sunday, April 08, 2007

Return Home (story by Lisa Trexler)

Attention readers:

Forgive me for not posting a blog for quite some time.
I could use the excuse that I've been super busy making plans for myself and Charlie, or that when we returned from Africa I immediately became overwhelmed with so many things to do or that life back in the US took over as usual. Or, it could have been because we were eaten by a giant, man-eating, desert spider - but that wouldn't be true - I wouldn't be here writing this now.
Excuse or not, I HAVE been making plans for myself and Charlie and I HAVE been overwhelmed with so many things to do since our return. After my incredible experience in Africa, life in the US DID take over. Even one week after being back it seemed as though we weren't gone at all.
It's funny how "luxuries" can do that; TV, hot showers, microwaves, food-at-the-ready, water, etc.
I can't believe that I was in a place, not too long ago. that didn't have most of these things.
(Egypt is quite different of course) As for most of the desert, it wasn't so easy to get a hot shower, drink clean water, or have food-at-the-ready. And there were no t.v.s or microwaves.
But, as I've said before, when you're in a place like that you quickly find out that you really don't need all of those things anyway. (in exception to food and water)
I had it easy; just visiting I was catered to with food, water, shelter, showers (sometimes), even an ipod. So I can't say that I came anywhere close to living as the desert people do. But being there, seeing and experiencing life as it is, was a terrific and inspiring moment of my time. Still, the people are very friendly and for the most part happy. And what a beautiful place!Everywhere you looked you saw beauty - beautiful faces, beautiful land, beautiful skies. Nothing I've ever seen could compare. The oldest continent on earth deserves the right to be called the most beautiful.

As Charlie and I arrived at the airport in Raleigh, NC - there were no big surprises waiting. I would have loved to have seen his expression as we walked toward many people waiting with big signs welcoming him home. And there were no television or radio crews ready for interviews. But, to no one's fault or even knowledge of our arrival, we walked toward the baggage claim, passing people along the way who had no idea what Charlie had just accomplished. (but they would know soon) It was late - later than we expected. So even if we did have plans for a welcome party they would have been waiting for quite some time.

Our drive home was mostly quiet. We were both tired from travel but I really think Charlie was quiet (he's never quiet) because he was going over so many things in his mind. I'm sure he was reminiscing about his long journey and "taking in" his arrival home. It will be different for him for a while. Being away for so long and coming back to such a different place will take an adjustment - physically and mentally. I know he was glad to be back but I also know he will truly miss the Sahara desert, the people, and his run.

The phones didn't stop ringing! Radio and television would be his next adventure - and right away! No rest for the weary!
Charlie must have spoken to over a hundred radio and news people since the time of his finish. I purchased a schedule book and had my pen ready because I knew I would be responsible for organizing his time from now on. Everyday was booked. It's all good!!

Next stop - Jay Leno!
If you missed this then you missed a great moment on late night TV. Charlie and the guys (Ray & Kevin) did an excellent job with their experience on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." In the short 8 mins they were allowed, they gave a good idea of what "Running the Sahara" was about.
It was really cool for me to watch it from the audience! I was so proud!
They'll visit the show again later.

As for now, Charlie continues with interviews, writing, and working on his speaking skills.
We are working on further efforts for H2O Africa and bringing clean water to the Sahara. We plan to visit there again soon.
We are enjoying our time with our family and friends. Charlie has spent good, quality time with his boys that he missed for so long. And of course ALL the kids (mine included) missed him and were so excited to hear all about his trip and what he brought back. (mostly what he brought back for them)
We're all very happy and trying to be mindful of how fortunate we are.
We can't wait to see what our future holds.
Life is GREAT!!!

This is the short version.
And FYI, there is a "Welcome Home" party planned for Charlie this month.

Congratulations to all three guys! Charlie, Ray, and Kevin
What an AWESOME accomplishment!

by: Lisa Trexler

1 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger GB said...

I am in the midst of watching Running the Sahara on Showtime as I type this. I just got to the part where Kevin decides to stay, at least until Libya. I know how it ends but I'm still so intrigued and glued to the TV. I know your post is quite old... but I still had to comment. Truly an amazing feat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home